Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Real Mower

Spring had sprung and I was standing in a yard almost knee high of grass and weeds trying to decide what my next move was. The local lawn care crews had been knocking on my door, offering me quotes to mow my lawn for several weeks and if I didn't hurry, I'm sure someone would be asking if they could bale hay off my small lawn.

I'm not a fan of the loud, fume belching mowers that my neighbors push around so when I went to the local home improvement store I asked for only one thing... I'll take anything that doesn't require gas to make it cut grass.

So now, I have a lovely bright orange reel mower. And no, that is not a typo- it is a true reel mower in the sense that it has no other motor except me to shove it around and make it go and it cuts the grass with a rotating blade. This proved interesting when I accidentally dropped it on my foot, breaking a bone. I had to explain to coworkers, nurses, and friends that it was a reel mower, to which they would reply "I know it's real, what kind is it?" and I'd reply... no, a REEL mower. After a few minutes of this they would comprehend and then say "oh, that's not a real mower, it has no motor".


I must admit, if you have a nice size yard and grass that actually grows this would not be the mower for you. My small subdivision lawn without any true grass to speak of is about all I can handle. When I get annoyed with the time and effort this type of mower requires... I try to remember I am saving the planet, one mowed lawn at a time. Smile!

2 comments:

  1. You broke a bone??!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure did, it was about three weeks ago. The whole thing turned blue and swelled up like a marshmellow- I hobbled around for a few days and it still hurts depending on what touches it. :)

    ReplyDelete